How much do you know about EPIGENETICS?
- German version (translated by Jan Fabio Nickels ESR4)
- French version (translated by Meredith Wouters ESR11)
- Italian version (translated by Gemma Noviello ESR2)
- Spanish version (translated by Andrea Hita Ardiaca ESR14)
- Catalan version (translated by Andrea Hita Ardiaca ESR14)
- Portuguese version (translated by Karen Amaral de Oliveira ESR8)
Jennifer Giannini (ESR10) matched with some classrooms for Skype A Scientist (https://www.skypeascientist.com/) and she took part in the Zurich International School’s “May the Fourth: Science and Technology Celebration Week”, where she spoke with a few classrooms of 7th grade students about her research, journey as a geneticist, and answered their questions about science.
Jennifer described her interactions with the 7th grade students as a really great experience, ”the kids were so enthusiastic and had great questions”.
Here is her presentation:
Find the Promoter
created by Karen Amaral de Oliveira – ESR8
Transcription Factors are proteins that bind to specific DNA sequences (promoter or enhancer sequences) and control gene expression. They ensure that the appropriate genes are expressed (transcribed) in the proper cell at the proper time. Transcription begins when the RNA polymerase binds to a specialized DNA sequence called a promoter, and transcribes DNA into mRNA.
Here, you should help the transcription factor find the specific promoter (yellow) without binding the non-specific (pink) promoter.